The good news about the 2010 White Sox similarities to the 1983 White Sox is that the ’83 team won the AL West by 20 games, the bad news is they lost to the Baltimore Orioles, 3-1 in a five game series. Let’s take a look:
- The ’83 Sox were 8 games out of first trailing the Texas Rangers on June 1, they went 18-10 in June and cut the lead to 3-1/2 games by All-Star break. This years team went 25-5 over a 30 game span leading up to the All-Star break putting the team in first place by a half game.
- The ’83 Sox had Ron Kittle who hit 35 home runs, Greg Luzinski had 32 home runs, and Carlton Fisk added 26 home runs. This years White Sox has Paul Konerko on pace for 36 home runs, Carlos Quentin for 33 home runs, and Alex Rios for 27 home runs.
- The ’83 Sox has speed with Rudy Laws 77 stolen bases (second to only Ricky Henderson’s 103) and Julio “Juice” Cruz with 57 stolen bases. While 2010 lead-off man, Juan Pierre, is not going to swipe 77 this year he’s currently on pace to lead the MLB with 59 swipes and Rios is on pace for 40 bags. The team currently sits in third place with 85 stolen bases trailing only the New York Mets with 86 and the Tampa Bay Rays with 115.
- The ’83 Sox went 44-15 in August and September which is a .745 winning percentage, the White Sox are currently playing at a .777 clip over the last 36 games. That pace might be hard to keep up, but only time will tell.
- The ’83 team had solid starting pitching with Cy Young and 24 game winner LaMarr Hoyt, 22 game winner Richard Dotson, and 16 game winner Floyd Bannister. While the Sox will probably not have a 20 game winner, but Danks has a shot if he continues to pitch like has been of late, they will end up with one of the best team ERA’s and have at least three pitchers with 13-plus wins and let’s be honest if Gavin Floyd continues to pitch like he has of late he should easily get to 10 wins with some run support.
- The post All-Star break acquisition for the ’83 team was Julio Cruz to add some speed, nothing major, I would expect the same from White Sox GM, Kenny Williams, this year. A role player of some type that will not be a show-stealer but someone who fits the mold of this team. The one big name that fits the mold of the White Sox is Adam Dunn from the point that he’s not a base running clogger, he’s smart and can go from first to third. Jack Cust may ultimately be the addition to the White Sox, over the last seven games he’s hit three home runs, 10 RBI’s, seven runs, and a stolen base.
- Out of the break, the ’83 Sox lost two out of three to the Milwaukee Brewers before winning two out of three from the Indians and taking over first place on July 18th. They extended their lead to 2-1/2 games by July 25. This year’s Sox lost three out of four to division foe Twins including a give away by the Jenks, but have responded by winning two straight from lifeless Seattle and taking a 3-1/2 game lead as of July 21.
- Finally, the two best White Sox uniforms are 1983 and their current uniforms, so they also have that in common.